Contempt and Enforcement of Agreements
and Court Orders

Contempt, in Maryland, is either civil or criminal, with the former used to coerce compliance. Where an agreement has been incorporated into an order of court, or a party simply disobeys a court order, and the party's disobedience is intentional and willful, a contempt order can be sought, calling for incarceration as a means of obtaining compliance.  Agreements can also be enforced in a variety of other ways, including mediation, arbitration, and court actions for breach or specific performance.

Maxwell Barke & Zuckerman LLC
51 Monroe Place, Suite 806, Rockville, Maryland 20850
Telephone 301.309.8300   Telecopier 301.309.8303
Adjacent to Montgomery County Courthouse  |  Across from Rockville Metro Station